Inside Daya Bay Nuclear Power Facility, Analysis, Recent Security Drill

 
Published on July 30, 2015
Channel: Ap Archive
Category: News & Politics
Source: Youtube

(10 May 2012) Shenzhen, China - 9 May 2012 1. Wide of Daya Bay nuclear power plant 2. Mid of nuclear reactor in the Daya Bay nuclear power plant 3. Mid of electricity facilities at Daya Bay 4. Wide of electricity pylons on hills 5. Close of nuclear reactor at Daya Bay 6. Wide of two nuclear reactors at Daya Bay 7. Wide of management team from the Daya Bay nuclear power plant and foreign reporters at news conference 8. Wide of Wei Qinhua, Deputy General Manager of Daya Bay Nuclear Operations and Management Company Limited, speaking 9. SOUNDBITE (Mandarin) Wei Qinhua, Deputy General Manager of Daya Bay Nuclear Operations and Management Company Limited: "We impose a unified management principle of standards, requirements and methodology. Therefore we can optimise our allocation of resources to achieve the full ability of our economy scale, so that we can enhance our safety level as well as our economic return. We are always able to win the confidence of the public as we are in a safe position, and the production capability of our company enhances the core competence on an unrelenting basis for the path of our company." Hong Kong - 26 April 2012 10. Wide of Hong Kong Government Flying Service helicopter landing 11. Wide of people being scanned for radiation check 12. Zoom in of people getting on helicopter 13. Wide of police in protective gear and goggles leading a group of people acting as residents of Tung Ping Chau 14. Various of people being scanned for radiation check Hong Kong - 25 April 2012 15. SOUNDBITE (English), Prentice Koo, Senior Campaigner of Greenpeace: "We simply don't believe that our government and also the industry can correctly estimate the safety of a nuclear reactor. Therefore, we urge our government to have the most comprehensive contingency plan." Shenzhen, China - 9 May 2012 16. Various of nuclear reactors in the Daya Bay nuclear power plant 17. Wide pan right of the Daya Bay nuclear power plant STORYLINE Over a year after the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in Japan, the Chinese government conducted a rare visit for foreign journalists to the oldest commercial nuclear power plant in China. Daya Bay nuclear power plant is located in Shenzhen, a Southern city in China, around 20 kilometres (12 miles) from Hong Kong. The power plant, which makes use of French reactor technology and British turbine-generator equipment, supplies 70 percent of its electricity to Hong Kong and the other 30 percent to Guangdong province. There are six nuclear reactors on the site. On Wednesday, foreign media were allowed to visit the site for the first time since it began operations in 1994, but journalists were not permitted to film inside the nuclear reactors or other electricity facilities. Questions regarding safety issues were also not allowed. The majority of the visit was taken up with a prepared presentation by the management of the nuclear power station. The management team insisted that they believe the nuclear power station is safe as it adheres to rigorously imposed standards. "We impose a unified management principle of standards, requirements and methodology," said Deputy General Manager Wei Qinhua. "Therefore we can optimise our allocation of resources to achieve the full ability of our economy scale, so that we can enhance our safety level as well as our economic return." A safety drill for the Daya Bay power plant was held in Hong Kong last month. The aim of the drill was to test the response capability of bureaux and departments involved in the event of an accident at the nuclear power plant. Residents living in Tung Ping Chau, an outlying island of Hong Kong were evacuated as the island falls within the "Emergency Zone", a 20-kilometre (12-mile) radius of the power plant. You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/5bfb1ac5faf8b8ec51533a8f8b7d4350 Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork